Research Data Engineer
- KU Leuven
- Onbepaalde duur, Voltijds
Research Data Engineer
ICTS, the central IT department of the KU Leuven, who provides services and infrastructure for the researchers of KU Leuven, wants to extended its services in order to help the researchers to answer to the new challenges of data management. Inspired by big European initiatives in this field, KU Leuven plans to start a Research Data Management project to build two RDM platforms.
One platform will focus on the wide KU Leuven research community. The other platform will be integrated on the Flemish Supercomputing Center (VSC) High Performance Computing services and will be used by researchers of all Flemish universities, research institutes and industry.
ICTS has a team of six customer-oriented employees responsible for supporting scientists using the High Performance Computing clusters and want to extend this team to also support the users of the Research Data Management platforms. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate, with good programming skills, a passion for science and data management.
As a Research Data Engineer you will be part of the HPC team, were you will be working on the Research Data Management (RDM) projects. The team working on RDM will develop and maintain the data management infrastructure, to be used by researchers from a broad range of scientific domains.
A data management infrastructure consists out of storage hardware and middleware. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining this middleware layer in close collaboration with the hardware team. This will be a new infrastructure, therefore you will have the possibility to be part of the design process and to build it from the ground. Afterwards you will also be responsible for adding new features to the platform.
With your technical expertise and programming skills you will help research groups to design workflows for data management. This will be done by analyzing and optimizing data flows and by implementing best practices and policies in the new infrastructure in close collaboration with the Data Stewards, researchers and your team. With your knowledge of the underlying infrastructure you will also help to identify and implement new features and tools for optimizing data workflows. You will be able to carry out advanced support assignments independently on project basis and in close collaboration with all the stakeholders.
Your curiosity about the new technological developments ensures that you are kept up to date and that your expertise is further developed.
- General design and implementation of the RDM services middleware
- Work with specific groups to address their specific data challenges
- Support the Data Stewards in their function and provide them with the necessary tools
- Documentation and training
- Actively follow and search about trends and developments in Research Data Management
- You have a Master's degree with proved IT skills.
- You can work on project base assignments
- You have good oral and written communication skills
- You have a thorough knowledge of Unix/Linux, including experience with scripting languages (e.g. shell scripting,).
- You have demonstrated programming experience (e.g. C/C++, Python, Java, Perl)
- You are a team player and you work result-oriented with a sense of order and quality.
- You are service- and customer-oriented.
- Good knowledge of English, spoken and written
- experience in data management is an asset.
- You have knowledge of version control systems (e.g. git or svn).
- You have knowledge in web technologies and/or web programming.
- You have experience working with Research Data Management software (e.g. iRODS, Dataverse, Invenio, etc)
A full-time job for an indefinite period, an interesting remuneration package, coupled with a salary in grade 6 or 7, exceptionally 8, depending on your relevant experience.
Dit adres kon niet gevonden worden.
Er kon geen route tussen de twee adressen gevonden worden.
De job werd bewaard
Je kan je bewaarde jobs terugvinden onderaan deze pagina, maar ook op de homepage en in Mijn Jobat.
Wil je ze ook op andere toestellen kunnen bekijken? Meld je dan aan.
- Functietype: Productontwikkeling
- Sector: Wetenschap en onderzoek
- Leuven (standplaats)
- Master (Licentiaat; Universiteit of Hoger Onderwijs Lange Type)
- Nederlands, Engels
- Onbepaalde duur
- Individuele hospitalisatieverzekering
- Hospitalisatieverzekering voor familie
- Eco Cheque
- Extra-legale vakantiedagen
- 12 maart
Ontvang per mail jobs op maat
Ontvang nieuwe 'Productontwikkeling' jobs in Leuven meteen in je mailbox.