The Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute (VAXINFECTIO) and the Global Health Institute of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at the University of Antwerp (UAntwerp) have the following position available:
Project coordinator EBOVAC3 (100%)
VAXINFECTIO is aimed at integrated vaccine and microbiological research with a focus on increasing the understanding of the immune response in prophylactic and therapeutic vaccines and on the containment of antibiotic resistance. (www.uantwerpen.be/en/rg/vaxinfectio)
The Global Health Institute focusses on health issues transcending national boundaries and are thus beyond the capacity of individual countries to address through domestic institutions. Their research activities cover diverse domains such as reproductive health, management of chronic diseases, (neglected) infectious diseases and vaccine preventable diseases. (www.uantwerpen.be/en/rg/global-health-institute)
There is a tremendous need to have a vaccine available that can prevent and or mitigate future Ebola Zaire outbreaks from dramatic spread. An international consortium aims to address this need of accelerating the development of a prophylactic Ebola vaccine via the EBOVAC3 project supported by IMI.
The consortium is involved in a Phase 2 study to evaluate the safety, tolerability and immunogenicity of heterologous prime-boost regimens of the vaccine administered to children in 3 age cohorts and HIV+ adolescents. Clinical centres in Sierra Leone, Republic of Guinea and the Democratic Republic of Congo, will enrol HIV+ adolescents, HIV- adolescents and paediatric subjects. Conducting a trial in countries that have experienced a number of filovirus outbreaks prepares the groundwork for response for a future outbreak and indirectly benefits the population at risk.
Project coördinator EBOVAC3 - 2018ATPFGGWEX055
The aforementioned partners at the UAntwerp are looking for an EBOVAC3 project coordinator to join and strengthen their team and conduct the following assignments:
- You are responsible for the overall management of the EBOVAC3 trial arms in DR Congo, including, but not limited to project planning and coordination, assisting in protocol writing, review of methodological and GCP aspects, ethical and regulatory submission, internal monitoring (DR Congo), and maintenance of trial master files, pharmacovigilance and other Good Clinical Practices (GCP) related tasks.
- You will coordinate the EBOVAC trial, mainly carried out in DRC, and are responsible for the coordination, supervision and implementation of all organizational and logistical aspects of the trials.
- You will coordinate all communication among the different groups involved in these multi-centre clinical trials (such as principal and local investigators, data management, statistics, laboratory, monitors, suppliers, scientific committees, with and within UAntwerp team, DSMB, etc.).
- You will organize training for researchers involved in clinical research in resource-limited settings on specific methodological and GCP related issues.
You will report to the Principal Investigators of this clinical trial at the UAntwerp. When supporting and coordinating the multi-centres you will have a direct functional link with the study coordinators.
- A master degree in medical, biomedical sciences, pharmacy or equivalent.
- At least five years of experience in monitoring and/or coordination of GCP-compliant clinical trials.
- Previous experience in both high income and low and middle income countries faced with limited recourses (preferably in Africa), training in tropical medicine and experience in laboratory quality systems are required.
- You are a team player and a problem solver. You are able to prioritize when confronted with a high workload, and have good communication skills.
- You are available for frequent travels, mostly in Sub-Saharan Africa (Guinee Conakry, Sierra Leone and DR Congo).
- Excellent knowledge of English and French, knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- Must be able to set and meet timelines or be able to recognize and schedule changes in response to project demands.
- Optimal communication skills are required
- An intellectually stimulating and international interdisciplinary research environment and collaborative network, with room for personal initiative.
- A 12 months fixed-term contract for 1 FTE position, with perspective of prolongation for another 4 years Starting date to be determined in agreement with the candidate but preferably 1st of September 2018.
- Salary according to university scales, starting at 8.1. Relevant experience and education will be taken into consideration.
- 35 vacation days + 2 weeks collective closure (in August and December).
- Reimbursement of public transport costs and/or bicycle compensation.
- Luncheon vouchers.