The lndustrial Research Fund (lOF) of KU Leuven forms a bridge between strategic basic research, technological innovations and industrial collaborations. Based on cooperations with KU Leuven research groups, the University Hospital and different stakeholders from industry and society, we aim to broaden our valorization portfolio and to increase the transfer of knowledge. We have a team of more than 30 experienced innovation managers involved in the development of practical and innovative technological solutions based on the expertise and infrastructure of the research groups within KU Leuven/UZ Leuven.
We are looking for an innovation manager to initiate, develop and support the valorization strategy in the field of resource recovery supporting an interdisciplinary consortium of two KU Leuven research teams with expertise in key enabling technologies in the fields of (bio)chemical process engineering and chemical analysis, specifically oriented towards environmental applications. Valorization opportunities are situated in advanced wastewater treatment, conversion of organic waste streams towards renewable chemicals and energy carriers, and advanced analytical chemistry (with emphasis on chromatographic techniques).
Innovation Manager in the field of “Treatment and valorization of side and (waste)water streams"
- Coordinating and support of the diverse portfolio of valorization projects resulting from the scientific research of the consortium;
- Exploration of opportunities for potential projects and match-making between technologies available in the consortium and the identified industrial needs;
- Taking the lead in proposal writing, with main emphasis on the valorization part;
- Contributing to the strategic planning of research and tech transfer agenda of the research groups;
- Identification of funding mechanisms, forming or joining project consortia and establishing collaboration agreements;
- Creating visibility, promoting the research and valorization program of the consortium to create business;
- Supporting the consortium in any cooperation with the industry, the management of intellectual property and the creation of spin-off companies, in consultation with KU Leuven Research and Development;
- Supporting researchers from the project writing stage to the identification of the right exploitation trajectory for their research results (collaboration agreements, patent, licensing, spin-offs).
- You hold a PhD or have minimum 5 years experience in strategic research in a relevant discipline (chemical engineering, bioscience engineering or analytical chemistry) with a proven research and grant writing track record (experience in writing successful EU proposals is a plus);
- You are pro-active in developing value propositions for projects ready for commercialization, with an entrepreneurial mindset;
- You have profound knowledge of the domains relevant to the program: waste(water) treatment, environmental technology, environmental analysis and analytical Chemistry;
- You have knowledge of intellectual property and regulatory aspects;
- You have experience in technology transfer and exploitation of research results;
- You have experience in project management (scientific management, financial management, reporting and people management);
- You have experience with or are aware of the main funding channels within Flanders and Europe;
- You have experience in bilateral research with industry and good negotiation skills;
- You can identify and preferentially have contacts with the key industrial players in Flanders and Europe;
- You have experience in working with academic and industrial consortia;
- You are fluent in English (both spoken and written). Fluency in Dutch is an asset.
An exciting and challenging job focused on continuous innovation and development in a transdisciplinary and international context. We offer a permanent position as Industrial Research Manager of the Industrial Research Fund (IOF) at KU Leuven.