The lndustrial Research Fund (lOF) of KU Leuven forms a bridge between strategic basic research, technological innovations and industrial collaborations. Based on cooperations with KU Leuven research groups, the University Hospital and different stakeholders from industry and society, we aim to broaden our valorization portfolio and to increase the transfer of knowledge. We have a team of more than 30 experienced innovation managers involved in the development of practical and innovative technological solutions based on the expertise and infrastructure of the research groups within KU Leuven/UZ Leuven.
We are looking for an innovation manager to initiate, develop and support the valorization strategy of the STADIUS Center for Dynamical Systems, Signal Processing and Data Analytics (http://www.esat.kuleuven.be/stadius, Department ESAT, Faculty of Engineering Science).
Biomedical ‘big data’ analytics is increasingly important, as nowadays medical and clinical research is overwhelmed with a tsunami of data (number of patients, number of observations per patient, longitudinal data records). Moreover, tech transfer of mathematical engineering know-how into the medical field and deployment of algorithms and software in clinical practice, is increasingly important. AI is getting increasingly sophisticated at doing what humans do, but more efficiently, more quickly and at a lower cost. AI in healthcare is hot, but also vast and there to stay.
Innovation Manager AI for health decision support
- You will contribute to the strategic planning, tech transfer actions and translation of the strategic research agenda in operational objectives;
- You will acquire a solid expertise in national and international research programs and will actively respond to call for proposals;
- You discuss with funding organizations and project partners the management, administrative, technical and financial aspects of projects;
- You acquire (project)management expertise, facilitating the management of people and projects under your supervision;
- You are responsible for the follow-up of projects in close concertation with KU Leuven Research and Development;
- You facilitate creativity and entrepreneurship with the research group by stimulating contract research with industrial partners, hospitals, medical doctors, patient organizations and other stakeholders in the health system. You also facilitate the creation of spin-off companies;
- You develop a multi-disciplinary network that comprises all the stakeholders in health research and development, both industrial and societal.
- You have a PhD in Biomedical, Mathematical or Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, with a proven record in healthcare AI applications;
- You have minimal 3 years of experience after your PhD, preferably including tech transfer and collaboration with industry and medical doctors;
- You have knowledge of national and international funding schemes in the domain of health and ICT;
- You have experience in publication/dissemination/tech transfer of research results;
- You have knowledge of intellectual property and regulatory aspects;
- You have experience in project management (scientific management, financial management, reporting and people management);
- You are creative, enthusiastic and have a strong commitment to research and tech transfer;
- You can work both independently and as part of a research team;
- You have excellent knowledge of Dutch and English, in speaking and writing, and you have excellent writing skills.
An exciting and challenging job focused on continuous innovation and development in a transdisciplinary and international context. We offer a permanent position as Industrial Research Manager of the Industrial Research Fund (IOF) at KULeuven.