Located in the beautiful town of Tervuren, near the university city of Leuven, BSB is a not for profit, inclusive fee-paying international school with 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. Our Primary School offers a bespoke curriculum with integrated learning themes that are inquiry based and skills driven. Whilst British-based, it is uniquely adapted to the needs of our international and multicultural student body. Students in Year 10 & 11 study for (I)GCSE and BTEC courses. Post-16 students can choose from three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. BSB has outstanding facilities and is the only international school in Belgium to have its own 25m indoor swimming pool. With an excellent record of academic achievement, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe.
Please refer to the candidate brief on our website for detailed information.
• To work closely with the Head of Secondary and Deputy Heads to ensure the ongoing and future success of BSB
• As a member of the Extended Leadership Team to contribute to the vision and strategy for the school.
In this role you will be required to:
• Provide strong, dynamic and visible leadership of the team of Heads of Year
• Promote excellence and innovation in your development areas
• Set and uphold the highest professional standards amongst staff and students, acting as a role model to all
• Foster a culture of excellence across the school to promote the school values based upon mutual respect and the BSB learner profile
• Ensure that the ethos and values of the school are sustained and that excellent relationships between staff, students and parents are a continuing priority
• Provide leadership to staff, valuing them amidst a culture of dedicated engagement, openness, and a sense of involvement as part of an academic community.
Educational Leadership and Management
• Ensure safeguarding and child protection processes of the highest standards
• Ensure that processes are in place to track, monitor and provide meaningful interventions for secondary students
• Oversight, line management of Heads of Years 7-11, school counsellors and nurses in relation to secondary students
• Ensure excellent transition and integration of new students
• Lead systems and processes of management of behaviour and awards
• Encourage parental support and involvement in the work of the Secondary School
• Oversee the implementation of relevant policies and procedures to ensure a culture of continuous development and improvement
• Fostering links with the local and wider national and international community.
• Effectively and efficiently manage resources related to the post
• Ensure that all administration and record keeping related to the areas of responsibility is accurate and up to date especially for sensitive aspects e.g. child protection
• Integration and support of new students
• Oversee Secondary School reporting and tracking systems
• Management of Secondary School assemblies
• Behaviour management and rewards systems development.
Values and Beliefs:
Upholding the ethos of BSB
• Committed to the values and behaviours of our Guiding Statements
• Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
• Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
• Commitment to inclusive internationally-minded education.
Demonstrate high professional standards at all times and be a role model for staff and students
• High aspirations of self and others
• Self-confidence and an optimistic ‘can do’ approach that makes things happen
• Able to relate well with others in a way that is culturally and situationally sensitive
• Take responsibility for own actions and decisions
• Able to adapt, be flexible and see more than one way of doing things
• Energy, dynamism and enthusiasm
• Exhibit integrity, sound judgement and compassion
• Deal positively with pressure and work to deadline
Leadership Behaviours & Skills:
Lead with integrity, commitment and humility
• Commitment to distributed, empowering leadership
• Engage and inspire students and staff
• Lead people to work successfully together towards shared goals
• Behave in such a way that encourages a positive climate at all times and which promotes mutual support and collaboration
• Build, support and challenge a high performing team, with particular emphasis on professional learning of all team members
• Able to think creatively and imaginatively to anticipate and solve complex problems and identify and act upon opportunities
• Ability to work independently, to delegate effectively and prioritise well
• Willingness to learn through ongoing development and improvement to benefit self and others
• Committed to creating a culture of inquiry
• Be courageous and prepared to take appropriate risks
• Make sound decisions based upon analysis, interpretation and understanding of evidence
• Possess personal presence with strong communication skills
• Be an ambassador for the school, with strong personal credibility and diplomatic skills.
Knowledge, Experience, Expertise:
• Successful Middle Leadership experience
• University Degree and Master’s (or willingness to work towards)
• Excellent teacher
• Comprehensive and knowledge of educational development and best practice
• Evidence of continued professional learning
• Proven track record of securing improvements for students
• Experience in managing resources
• Experience of a range of staff management processes e.g. recruitment and performance appraisal
• IT literate
How to apply:The deadline for applications is Monday 25 February 2019 at 12.00 (CET).Please note that only applications sent in using the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.Please include the names and addresses of three referees. Referees will not be approached until the final stages and not without prior permission from candidates. Due to GDPR, please note that you need to request your referees’ approval.
If you submit your application, you will receive an automated acknowledgement. If you do not receive an acknowledgement, please check the email address and resend your application.
Longlisted candidates may be contacted by Skype and will be informed about this well in advance. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview at the school on Monday 11 and Tuesday 12 March 2019The details of the remuneration package will be sent to the candidates invited to attend the selection procedure. The package, in brief, will include an attractive salary which will be commensurate with the significance and importance of the post and the experience of the successful candidate in addition to other attractive terms and conditions, including children’s school fees provided at 100% discount (if appointed from outside of Belgium).
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.” (with reference to the most recent KCSIE)