As a Pharma Country Head Legal, you take the lead of the Belgian legal team for the Pharma Legal Entity, and you will report to the Country President Belgium and the Region Europe Head of Legal of the Pharma Division. You will also coordinate the Legal activities of the other Legal entities of the Novartis Group in Belgium with their respective teams.
You direct all aspects of legal for the Group at country level. You will ensure the provision of legal insight and documents relevant to the business development. Furthermore, you are in charge of establishing, embedding and enforcing compliance aligned with local requirements and company policies.
You are an experienced litigator and legal manager, giving direction and providing strategic legal insight – including identification of business opportunities based on the legal framework and across different functions. You have the litigation acumen necessary to drive successful legal outcomes when the need arises, and the ability and inclination to actively shape the law through active lobbying and publishing on Pharma related legal topics.
Your responsibilities in a brief summary are :
- Managing the Legal team, as well as the legal budget and cost management for the department;
- Being an active member of the Executive Committee / Leadership team and several BU/working groups regarding legal topics and arrange cross group communication/harmonization related to legal;
- Ensuring to be abreast of all relevant legal developments by coordinating the legal department on various topics related to the business. Included are business development, employee relations, intellectual property (licenses), litigation, corporate and governance compliance, tax and insurance compliance and contracting;
- Focusing on a long term market strategy and planning by applying best legal practices for the country;
- Assuring the business is supported on legal topics and ensuring a smooth collaboration towards the business, delivering high quality legal recommendations by the legal team;
- Limiting and mitigating legal and compliance risk by decreasing risk exposure and preventing litigation in close collaborations to colleagues across the Belgian company structure and to colleagues abroad and having related processed implemented;
- Ensuring ‘corporate compliance’ in multiple domains, such as tax /governance/ insurance, in close collaboration with the business and the business units, establishing compliance standards aligned with local regulations/standards and company-wide policies;
- Ensuring the management of the entire contract and negotiation flow, including the contract negotiations up to the management of the contract management;
- Promoting & enforcing the ethics and compliance in the organization;
- Being responsible for the Legal group talent acquisition and (further) development, continuing the strong culture of internal Legal.