The Atlas Copco Group is headquarted in Stockholm, Sweden and is active in more than 180 countries. The international headquarters of the compressor branch within the group are located in Wilrijk (Antwerp): Atlas Copco Airpower. We’re market leader in compressed air technology and it shows. We develop and produce a wide range of industrial compressors and related products. Driven by innovation, we strive to provide the best compressed air systems to our customers around the world and provide solutions to respond to their complex technical issues. Besides engineering and manufacturing, logistics, purchase, finance and aftermarket are as important. As an employee, you become part of an international working environment with a variety of contacts and numerous career opportunities.
Thermodynamic modelling & optimization scientist
Within the product development department we are looking for a ‘Turbo Calculation Engineer’ to join the centrifugal team.
This team is responsible for developing and maintaining centrifugal products and technology. Developments can be starting from a blank paper to upgrading current products as well as searching for innovations together with the R&D-cell and external parties like universities.
The team oversees the entire process from research, design, testing prototypes and entering serial production.
Our aero and mechanical engineers know how to simulate & predict the machines behavior, but your job is to further automate the calculations, link them and optimize them. With your mathematical/physical background you are able to cross-link different calculation tools and write optimization code. Your affinity with mathematical description of geometries will allow us to simulate complex and exotic shapes. Formulas and physical phenomena are 2 sides of the same coin for you.
Your optimization strategies will lead to a next generation of high performance and energy efficient turbo compressors. You’ll help to replace the human repetitive optimization approach by artificial intelligence, pushing the boundaries of our imagination.
Within a product development team you will work together with specialists from different disciplines like aerodynamic engineers, mechanical engineers, designers, structural engineers, rotordynamic specialists, test engineers, project managers, software engineers…
Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Mathematical/Physical modelling, Physics; a PhD is a plus
- Solid mathematical/physical background, engineering knowledge of mechanics and thermodynamics
- Experience with optimization techniques and large scale simulations
- Programming skills
- Fluent in English; Dutch is a plus
- You enjoy working in teams within an international and multidisciplinary environment
- You work as an engineer and you bring solutions. You are able to keep focus on the important things. You have common sense.
- You have a critical mind, you work accurate and take initiative
- The dynamic environment of product development energizes you
- You are flexible and think outside the box
- You are challenged by complex problems and you like diving into simulations, calculations and physics to solve them
- You are eager to learn and stay up-to-date with the latest developments and industry trends
- Diversified tasks with a broad range of development opportunities at a constantly growing and innovative global player.
- Support and possibilities to grow in your career.
- A familiarization phase of several months with support of an experienced mentor.
- A good work-life balance.
- A competitive salary with benefits package
- The possibility to participate in our bicycle leasingplan and to join several sport clubs.