Located in the beautiful town of Tervuren, near the university city of Leuven, BSB is a not for profit, inclusive fee-paying international school with 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. Our Primary School offers a bespoke curriculum with integrated learning themes that are inquiry based and skills driven. Whilst British-based, it is uniquely adapted to the needs of our international and multicultural student body. Students in Year 10 & 11 study for (I)GCSE and BTEC courses. Post-16 students can choose from three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. BSB has outstanding facilities and is the only international school in Belgium to have its own 25m indoor swimming pool. With an excellent record of academic achievement, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe.
The English and Media Faculty teach a bespoke curriculum at Key Stage 3 that is carefully designed to give our students a thorough knowledge base in our subject and to inspire a love for reading and writing. We teach to the Edexcel specification at Key Stage 4 in Years 10 & 11 and also follow Edexcel for Literature A-Level. In addition to this, we offer the IB Literature course at Higher Level and the Language and Literature course at Standard Level.
Teacher of English
We are seeking to employ an exceptional, suitably qualified Teacher of English with strong subject knowledge who can bring passion, enthusiasm and experience to the department and the school as a whole.NQTs are welcome to apply and, if successful, will be given mentoring support, a reduced timetable and an initial one year contract.
Your Role: A candidate is sought who will:
- set the highest standards in terms of teaching and learning, getting the very best from all students
- work closely with department colleagues in creating a sense of cohesion and collaboration within the department
- be attuned to current developments in the teaching of English and wider classroom pedagogy
- be able to teach up to Post-16
- be actively involved in professional learning within the department and across departments where helpful
- be appreciative of the values of an international school community and students’ differing cultural backgrounds
- willing and able to contribute wholeheartedly to the social development of students and to the extra-curricular life of the school, including taking part in school residential trips.
- have good ICT skills
- Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Open mindedness and welcoming of otherness
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students.
Application process:The deadline for applications is 25 March 2019 at 16:00 (CET). Please note that only applications sent in using the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.Interviews will be held at the school or via Skype in the week commencing Monday 1 April and this process will include a sample lesson and opportunities to meet potential colleagues and students.
- Full-time contract with full obligation to attend all staff meetings and professional learning sessions
- Enthusiastic, happy and confident children who are proud of their school and love learning
- Outstanding facilities and resources
- Excellent professional development opportunities
- Attractive salary - BSB Learning & Teaching scale – Band 4 representing a minimum of € 49.092 and maximum € 89.103 gross per year, depending on the years of relevant experience) and extra-legal benefits including hospitalisation insurance, extra pension payments, luncheon vouchers, free use of the BSB sport facilities
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.” (with reference to the most recent KCSIE)