Professor of Health Systems
- Instituut voor Tropische Geneeskunde
- Permanent, Full-time
Professor of Health Systems
The Health Systems & Health Policy research group focuses on the organization of local (district) health systems, national and global health policies and research methodology (including complex systems perspectives), with the transversal themes of universal health coverage (UHC), equity, governance, and health in fragile settings. The academic activities of the research group are inspired by the values of Primary Health Care. The group is committed to UHC and the Sustainable Development Goals and specifically aims at making health systems more people-centered, integrated, accountable, equitable and resilient.
Within this research group, ITM seeks to recruit a Professor of Health Systems. Together with ITM’s partners in the South and the North, the candidate will develop and lead a comprehensive research and training portfolio in the field of Health Systems. The thematic focus is on health system organisation and management, including its building blocks management of (local) health systems, health system strengthening, health system governance, health workforce management and community engagement/participation. The candidate will work closely with and be complementary to the colleagues in the Health Systems & Health Policy research group, who work on health policy and on health systems and policy research methodology. There will be opportunities to develop research on the challenges that climate change, inequity and urbanisation raise for health systems functioning.
- You develop a research portfolio in the above field, including acquiring funding, developing partnerships and strengthening the international reputation and visibility of ITM’s work in the academic field of Health Systems
- You attract and train PhD students in this field
- You teach modules on health service organization at primary care level, health system strengthening, universal health coverage and health systems research in ITM’s Master in Public Health
- You contribute to the ITM’s international partnerships and collaborations
- You provide expert advice to national and international stakeholders in the field
- You co-lead the Health System and Equity unit, take up responsibilities regarding management, quality and safety, and contribute to the strategy of the overall Health Systems and Health Policy group
- You have a PhD in a research domain that is relevant to the above-described position
- You have an initial Master in medicine (medical doctor) or related field (social/health/biomedical sciences), and preferably an additional Master in Public Health (MPH) or equivalent
- You have several years of relevant post-doctoral experience with a strong focus on health systems research
- You have a proven track record of high-quality research on health systems in low- and middle-income countries, with extensive publications, including recent first and last author publications
- You have a strong track record of successful grant writing, funding, and PhD training
- You have a record of productive research collaborations, and a wide network in the field of health systems
- You have a solid background in teaching on health systems, with a focus on low- and middle-income countries
- You are an inspiring leader, strong communicator and good team manager
- You have demonstrable active knowledge of English and French. You speak Dutch or are willing to learn it. Knowledge of other languages is an asset
- Research experience in health systems in high-income countries
- Professional experience in management of health systems in resource-poor
- Expertise in quantitative research, interfacing quantitative and qualitative research, interdisciplinary research, and/or comparative research
- Experience or a keen interest in the current global challenges for health systems functioning (e.g. inequity, urbanization, climate change)
- A full-time tenure appointment as professor
- A salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and the Flemish universities and to your work experience with supplementary benefits: a public transportation subscription and/or bicycle fee, private pension scheme and meal voucher subscription
This address could not be found.
We could not find a route between the two addresses.
The job was saved
You can find your saved jobs on the homepage or in My Jobat.
To view them on other devices as well, just log in.
- 4 May
Receive jobs by e-mail
Receive new 'Clinical research' jobs in Antwerp & Port of Antwerp straight to your mailbox.